We have found that we rarely have many visitors to our bird feeder when the birds can find plenty of seeds on plants or on the ground. But when winter comes and the snow arrives, they quickly eat up what we have put out for them. I suppose it would be quite startling for the little bird who comes to check out the bird feeder on a warm June day!
Our household is healthy again, and my hubby is home for the weekend. His boss has given him permission to work out of an area office on this side of the state one day of the week so that he will only be gone 3 days per week. That will be nice.
Thoughts From My Big Green Chair
People tend to repeat a mantra within their minds that describes how they see the world. I've decided a very common one (and I have found it to be a favorite of mine) is, "I deserve better than this." It is a rather ugly and insidious view of life which allows us to eat too much, treat others with disrespect, and deny others of our wisdom and charity. It gives us a valid excuse for our behavior with an air of righteousness. I think it is time to begin finding these mantras we cling to and then say them out loud so that everyone can hear how small we are, and so that we can see how we truly look to others--and to God. Next time I reach for the sweets in a bowl when I'm feeling as though too much is required of me, I shall boldly announce, "I deserve better than this! I deserve to be treated with more respect! And because of this, I deserve to eat whatever I want!"
Or maybe not. Maybe I will choose, instead, to find another mantra that begins with, "I am thankful for..." or, "I am honored by..." or at other times, "I love..." Today I think I"ll say, "There is beauty all around me. Let me count the ways..."
Go in search of beauty!
Jean

3 comments:
*People tend to repeat a mantra within their minds that describes how they see the world.*
While I'm not sure exactly which of my mantras actually plays the most, I think you have a good point.
From reading your blog, I would never have thought that *I deserve better* is something that plays through your head.
You seem well-adjusted...meaning that like Paul you have learned to be content...whatever the circumstances.
Blessings on your Saturday,
Dana in GA
Dana,
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work your hands, so that your daily life will win the respect of outsiders, and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. 1 Thess. 4:11-12
This is the "mantra" I memorized years ago. I have done my best, with the Lord's help, to make this true in my life. But it does not come to me naturally. I must always be on guard. When I see messes "left" for me to pick up, when someone says something mean, or even when the roll of toilet paper is left for me to replace, that which is "earthly" can surface. It is an act of God that gives me peace. What was it Amy Carmichael wrote? She wrote something about a bowl that, when suddenly jarred, will overflow with that which is inside it. When we as people are unexpectedly "jarred" by something that happens in our life, we will also "overflow" with our true self. If I do not pray and meditate, read my Bible and read books by Christians, attend church and work on living my faith, the overflow is not pretty!
My being content is something I have had to learn, and I do not always exhibit it very perfectly! Just ask my family...
:-) Jean
I found beauty in the pictures you posted that were not eaten. I just love, love, love the frozen north. Maybe one day I'll actually live there and hate it, but for now I'll dream and use your pix as my computer background.
Post a Comment