The evening sky was gorgeous last night with pink clouds decorating the western horizon. The clouds floated above like ships upon the water; I always wonder if that makes me the fish. I did not stay out late enough to find the constellations, but as I walked the neighbor’s horse was snorting in the pasture over the hill. Otherwise the evening was quite except for the normal sounds of crickets and frogs, farm dogs and cattle bellowing for their calves, cats mewing because I’m walking too fast and they cannot keep up, and the sound of cars on the distant highway.
The crickets, by the way, have completely invaded my home. If you go into the basement in the evening you will hear their chorus. We have an old farmhouse with rock walls in the basement and it is not good at keep a number of small things outside. The spider population is a bit overzealous with all the spider webs, and these are everywhere, not just the basement. I cannot stay ahead of their spinning and weaving around the corners of my walls and curtain rods.
And now I sense that the small rodents that like to find a nice warm place for winter have started attempting to find their way into my basement as well. How can I tell? Snowflake. He use to curl up at night next to me on my bed, and now he only has eyes for the basement stairwell. He searches and looks and is all perky-eared every time we move a shoe or a basket in the entryway. Although I’m not too excited about his eating mice, I must say I prefer their being eaten to their infesting my house.
The glorious farm life that everyone wants, right?
Hey! Have a good day!

Jacob and Luna waiting to go into the show ring
4 comments:
Look how tall Jacob is getting!
I sat and watched a large spider outside the bathroom window this morning as it spun its web around an insect caught for dinner. There are a few more smaller spiders just outside the living room window next to my computer. And when I mow down the path along the dam, I have to brush aside all the spider webs joining the trees and brush on either side of the path. I haven't seen any signs of mice in the house (yet), but it is getting to be that time of year. Usually when they harvest the fields behind and beside the house, the mice all head for winter quarters (aka our basement!).
Sandy C.
Jean, I know just what you mean about the spiders! I can make a thorough cleaning one day, only to walk through a thinly strung spider-fiber the next morning on my way to the coffee pot! Guess that's a bonus with old houses in the country. The crickets are quite noisy here also.
Hasn't the moon been glorious this week?!
Hi Jean,
I can identify with the abundance of spiders - we live in a usually 'peaceful' co-existence, unless it happens to be a huge wolf spider - then it has to find another home besides mine:).
I am feeling very unprepared for school this year - a wedding in June, horse shows, county/state fairs and working almost full-time (I'm a nurse) to help make ends meet - I haven't had much time for preparation.
I enjoyed your fair pictures.
Post a Comment