Thursday, June 22, 2006

Trouble Comes in Threes

Trouble comes in threes (or so the proverb says).

#1: John Mark's splint is off. He is not supposed to use it too roughly for the rest of the summer, and it is slowing gaining some of his thumb's mobility back.

#2: I've finished physical therapy for my back. I now have the "normal" amount of back pain, and the small of my back only whimpers when I try to lift something heavy.

#3: My husband has a broken blood vessel in his eye (macular degeneration from age? severe myopia? a previous blow to the eye?). The doctor injected some medicine into the eye which has the highest chance of improving the lost vision. My hubby will need to be careful to stay away from environments that could irritate the eye and cause infection (i.e.. farm work) for several days. We pray that all will heal without any infection and that the procedure will produce better vision.

Thanks for your prayers!

Jean

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! All three of you will be in my prayers for speedy and complete healing.

Jill

Needleroozer said...

Hi Jean,
I read about your dh's eye on the high school board and wanted to let you know I know how hard it can be to support someone through this. My mom lost her vision in one eye two years ago, and lost the vision in the other eye 6 months ago. Adjustment to macular degeneration is very hard, especially I think, at her age.

Your dh's eye Dr. should have info for you regarding support systems. We have been using Community Services for the Blind for much of my mom's support. They are really wonderful and offer many services, and most of all, just some understanding. They may be helpful to your dh in training his other eye.
Best of luck to all of you right now.
LB

Jean in Wisconsin said...

I googled MD and found some support programs. Thanks.

Thanks for your prayers, Jill. I'd say we could use them about right now!

Anonymous said...

Jean:
My 13 year old son has a rare form of wet macular degeneration. We have had great success with Avastin (used off-label). If your husband does not get results, ask if he was given Macugen or Avastin. Avastin seems to be more effective (anecdotally-we asked all the local opthalmologists). There is also a new steriod implant that has been somewhat successful. This field is changing rapidly. Don't give up!
-nrg

Beverly said...

I'm interested in how your husband does, and the comments I've read here. I lost central vision in my right eye in 1999. Now I have a hot spot in my left eye, between the macula and the optic nerve. The fear of blindness is there. I'll pray for your husband, and I covet your prayer as well.