On the farm the chores need to be done twice a day. If we leave home for too long, we need to find someone to do the chores for us. The cattle don't take kindly to being ignored.
This morning my husband went out to do chores and found that one of our show cows had given birth, but was struggling to give birth to the twin. It was not long after that he realized that the second calf had not survived, and if the cow was going to survive that calf was going to need to be pulled.
I was putting my make-up on and rushing around to get to choir practice when he came in to tell me the problems, so I suggested he keep JM at home to help. When we got home from church, we found that they could not do the job and had called the vet.
Sally came. She has the equipment to do the job that we could not do. The second calf had some deformities and would not have survived even if it could have been born in a timely fashion. We are thankful that they both were female and that one calf is on the ground, healthy, nursing and prancing around. (If twins are one male and one female, the female has a 90% chance of not being fertile.)
While the vet was here, we had her check some calves that have been sick. My daughter's calf, Kiss Me, Too, is running a temp of 105 degrees and a number of other calves have had runny noses and are obviously sick with something. Pneumonia is going around so we got some medicine for them--another $170 added to the bill.
And while she was here, I had her check my mama kitty to see if she was pregnant. I'm sure I felt little bodies inside her a while ago, but she either deceived me or she lost them. No kittens this winter, I'd guess. I'm glad because I really did not want to take care of newborn kittens as we head into the coldest part of winter. Usually cats do not give birth this time of the year around here. (Sorry Donna; no new kitties for your little girl!)
Another busy day on the farm.
Today I plan to stop at my mom's with a Christmas wreath and to wish her a happy birthday! Then my daughter and I will go shopping in the "big" city. I cannot face the crowds this time of the year on weekends, so she will scrunch school into the afternoon after we get home. The boys will stay home with dad and get as much school done as they can without me.
I think we will do school for two more weeks and then break for the holidays. What about you?
Blessings!
3 comments:
Oh my goodness, I am SO jealous of your cool farm!! To see the babies born... it must be so neat to do what you do.
~Kolbi
Hi Jean,
I love hearing about your adventures on the farm...especially with the animals. My husband will be glad that Momma kitty is not producing more tempting kittens! He will be spared the nagging this winter :o)
That is facinating about the m/f twins and fertility.
We found it interedting that calicos are almost always female and if they are male they are infertile. Interesting stuff.
Katie told me yesterday that she is going to be a vet when she grows up. It's funny having such a verbal/social child who just wants to share everything with me. I love it :o)
Happy shopping!
p.s. we will do school for two more weeks too.
Hi Jean,
Sounds like you had a busy day! Hope you got your shopping in. I, too, avoid the stores on weekends, although I did go early saturday. We were there just as the doors opened, and were gone before lunch. The idea of "peace on earth, good will to men" must arise out of the lack of it at shopping malls this time of year!
We're likely going to finish about the 15th or 16th. Not sure yet.
Post a Comment