Friday, January 14, 2005

A January Morning

It was suppose to be cold this morning—perhaps the coldest day in January. However, when I got up to stoke the stove, the thermometer read a little above zero. Here in my corner of Wisconsin, really cold means below zero—10 to 20 below (Fahrenheit). When it gets that cold there are lots of warnings about keeping children safe and pets protected, especially if there is a strong wind included. When I stepped out on the deck to dump the ash, I did not notice any wind. It was just a very crisp morning with Venus shining close to the horizon in a cloud-streaked sky; soon the Morning Star will be too close to the sun to see, and before we know it, she will have circled around enough to become our Evening Star. Venus is one of the nicest planets to watch—she’s so big you can always pick her out. And since her orbit is close to the sun, you always find her in the sky just before sunrise or just after sunset. If you can, try to find her in the next few mornings.

Today will be a busy day with school and grocery shopping this morning. We always try to keep Friday to a half a day of school, so we’ve invited our cousins for an afternoon visit. The boys love it when they come, but I think they would like it even more if we allowed them to pack their bags and spend the night in the woods. They will have to be content with tramping around over there this afternoon. It looks like it will be sunny and glorious for hiking outdoors!

What do you have planned for the day?

Blessings!


Ruffy's paw in the air means, "I'm cold!" Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Donna Boucher said...

Oh, so that is cat language for 'I'm cold.'
Very funny, Jean!

Ruffy is very fluffy!

Kim said...

Oh, so that's what that means! I had a cat at the door this morning doing that. Usually, when I get up, I let him out for about an hour or so, but this morning, he came to the basement window to peer in at me.

Today, I'm making some french bread to serve with my beef stew tonight. Later, I'm going couch hunting. We need a new one, and I'm on the lookout for someting comfy, that doesn't show dirt, and in my budget.

Mrs. Darling said...

I posted my weekend activities in pics. (our weekend starts on Friday since hubby works 4/10's. Goodness and I thought it was cold here and we had about 29 this morning. guess I don't know what cold is.

Anonymous said...

Ruffy is a *beautiful* cat! I really enjoy all the pictures you choose to share with us.

Jill (JS in VA)