Sunday, January 09, 2005

Sleepy Sunday

It is good that it is Sunday. As I sit here typing, the noise level in my little computer area is rather high. It seems one of my sons has Snowflake in his room while the other son wants to play with the kitty. How do you get a cat out of a brother’s room without going in to get the cat? You attach a play mouse to the end of your fishing rod (no hook, mind you), and you toss the mouse within range of the cat. When the cat pounces, the goal is to drag the mouse out of the room. However, if the cat is faster than you, you might discover that your rod and line are not quite up to the task…

-------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday my mother and I attended my uncle’s funeral. I enjoyed my time visiting with my cousins. If I remember right, my aunt and uncle have 13 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. It was delightful to catch up with family news and to meet the children who had grown so much that I had to be introduced to them once more!

I’ve been pondering what I experienced yesterday. I find myself wondering just what kind of a legacy I will leave behind for my family. My aunt and uncle raised their five children knowing that church and faith was the center of their lives. As I listened to the stories of their dad, I was struck with the beauty of a family whose children are carrying that legacy onto the next generations. I saw no evidence of family strife, but could feel the joy the family had at being together, intermingled with the grief that comes when we need to say good-bye to someone who is dear to us. The stories that they told of the memories they hold made us laugh and cry. I chuckled at the comment that now that my uncle has arrived, they are all quite certain that there will be no squeaking doors or dripping faucets in those heavenly mansions. We are all comforted by the thought of our grandparents and their five sons taking part in a joyous family reunion, which some day we will join.

In all its joys and sorrows, life is good.

----------------------------------------------------------------

We have not heard from Bethany today. This morning they will have the awards banquet and find out how their team has done. I’ll keep you posted!

Blessings!

1 comment:

Di said...

Hi Jean,

I am home from church with an achey child and enjoyed reading your reflections on your uncle's service. No squeaking doors and leaking faucets (-: To see no evidence of family strife is amazing. I can only pray that our little family will begin such a heritage as our children grow.

Off to declutter while the masses are gone to church.

Warm wishes -- and prayers for your daughter's safe return.

Diane