Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Checking In

A lot has happened in the last week and a half. Here on the farm calving season is in full swing and we are constantly running to help the birthing and caring for wobbly babies. Yesterday my hubby called us on his cell phone; grabbing our mud boots and heavy rope, we went flying out of the house. We drove the short distance to the old farm, the parcel of land we had purchased 1st. Avoiding the electric wire, we slipped under the fence and ran the length of the old railroad right away. A cow, trying to give birth to a breech calf, had rolled over and gotten wedged on her back between some trees on the side of a steep bank. When we got there, my dh had already pulled the calf; he tied the rope to the cow’s hoof and the other end to the tractor and slowly pulled her over. Later, he brought the calf in to the warming box—the hard labor must have given her a poor start on life. We hope she does well because she is an ET (embryo transfer) calf.

Last night we heard a huge growling and screeching sound and my son came screaming into the house, “The fox is chasing one of our cats!” We called the cats and Blackie and Citrus were the only ones who did not come. We hope they come in this morning when we feed them.


This is Holy Week. It is the time to contemplate our lives and our gifts—the gift of redemption gives us hope.
Blessings to you all.

4 comments:

Jean in Wisconsin said...

I give up! I tried posting a pic of mommy and her calf three times and it never has come through. Perhaps when I return today, all of them will be here--or none of them.

Sigh,
Jean

Jean in Wisconsin said...

Blackie and Citrus came for breakfast :-).

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back, Jean! I enjoy your blog and pictures so much. I'm glad your kitties returned safely, and I hope the new calf is doing better!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear Blackie and Citrus are okay! I hope the calf and her momma are doing well too.

Jill