
"I do adore Thee..."

A song we sang last night at Maunday Thursday services still hangs in the air. The Text is by Johann Heermann. I've linked the title of the hymn to the site that has the music in case you do not know the tune. Blessings.
Ah, Holy Jesus
Ah, holy Jesus, how hast thou offended
That man to judge thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.
Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon thee?
Alas my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee.
'Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee;
I crucified thee.
Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
The slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered;
For man's atonement, while he nothing heedeth,
God intercedeth.
For me, kind Jesus, was thine in carnation,
Thy mortal sorrow, and thy life's oblation;
Thy death of anguish and thy bitter Passion,
For my salvation.
Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay thee,
I do adore thee, and will ever pray thee;
Think on thy pity and thy love unswerving,
Not my deserving.
2 comments:
Oh, Jean. This is one of my favorite hymns. The words are so sobering and bring tears to my eyes every time. And the tune is hauntingly minor. Thank you for posting it. Today's dark weather day fits the observance.
Janie
Thank you, Jean. This is so perfect for today.
Diane
Post a Comment