Saturday, September 03, 2005

Whew! Big Week!

Sunday night we brought the cattle and the children home from the fair. Everyone was tired but happy. We watched the weather channel.

Monday we watched the hurricane land. I saw what appeared to be a heartsick look on Jim Cantore’s face as he announced that the people did not start getting out of town soon enough; he predicted that there would be a terrible price to pay for this. He was right.

Tuesday we went to pick up my cousin’s two boys. They spent most of their time in the woods for the next 3 days—and I spent most of the time in the kitchen trying to fill their hollow legs! My daughter started school.

Wednesday the boys attended the carcass shows in the two butcher shops where their 4-H steers hung. Each of them won!!! How does a 16-inch ribeye sound?! After dropping the cousins off on Thursday, we spent Friday getting the boys started with their new school schedules.

Saturday. I have neglected my blog for a few days. I’ve spent a lot of time watching the horrors unfold in the New Orleans area. It is true that some aid might have come more quickly, and there is enough blame to spread around. However I believe that we need to put our emphasis on today, and later we can rework our emergency evacuation programs. The needs of the people are overwhelming. Here in Wisconsin, I pray.

Next week I’ll try to get out and snap a few pictures of the beauty of late summer. Soon we will be talking of harvest. The days are turning crisp and it is time to start clearing off the garden. The cats are frisky now that the dog days of summer are done. The skies have been that end-of-summer, deep blue. Yesterday I saw my first wooly bear (caterpillar) of the season—a sure sign of the coming of winter (you know that you can tell how hard the winter will be by the size of the black stripe, don’t you?)

By the way, did you know that during the hottest days of summer, the sun shines in the sky where Sirius lies? Sirius, being part of the constellation Major Canis (the Big Dog), is the brightest star in the northern hemisphere. The ancients assumed that the two shining together caused the heat of the summer, thus “the dog days of summer.”

More later. Blessings.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. Your family is very blessed to have you. Will visit again